Popular names: spider lily (syn. Ismene festalis), summer daffodil, Sea daffodil, Peruvian daffodil.
Flower colour: pale white-yellow
Flowering period: mid June - July
Average plant height: 30 - 60 cm
Planting depth to base of bulbs: bulb just under ground level, neck just above the surface
Spacing between bulbs: 20 cm, or 1 bulb in a 12.5 cm pot
Type of bulb: bulb
Light requirements: sheltered and sunny (PM sun)
The flowers of the Hymenocallis look more like a daffodil flower than a lily flower, this is why there are two different common names. The flowers have a long cup with projecting stamens. There are no leaves on the stem, and the flowers are fragrant. Hymenocallis is suited to growing outside in a sunny spot, but most often used in pots and containers.
- Hymenocallis 'Advance' - white
- Hymenocallis 'Sulphur Queen' - creme yellow
- Hymenocallis festalis - white
- Hymenocallis festalis 'Zwanenburg' - white (an improved festalis)
- Hymenocallis Harrisiana - white